Kenergy is an electric distribution cooperative. As a co-op, Kenergy is member-owned and operates on a not-for-profit basis.
Net margins, which is the difference between revenue and expenses, are put back into the co-op to help run the business efficiently, or those net margins are returned to members through a refund called capital credits. Since 2012, Kenergy has returned a total of about $17 million in patronage capital to members and former members.
Kenergy exists to provide safe and reliable electricity at an affordable price.
The cooperative was established in July 1999 through the consolidation of Henderson-Union Electric Cooperative (organized in 1936) and Green River Electric (organized in 1937). Henderson-Union was the first electric cooperative in the state to sell electricity to a member. Frank T. Street of Cardinal Farms in Henderson County received electricity from the co-op in October 1937.
Kenergy has grown to serve more than 57,000 homes and businesses in Breckinridge, Caldwell, Crittenden, Daviess, Hancock, Henderson, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McLean, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Union and Webster counties. The cooperative maintains more than 7,200 miles of power line.