Washington Youth Tour – June 12-17, 2023
Kenergy will select three students to send on an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., as part of the Washington Youth Tour (WYT).
A panel of judges will choose the co-op’s three delegates and one alternate in February 2023.
Kentucky Electric Cooperatives coordinates this trip. Read more about the Washington Youth Tour.
Prior to Covid, students would visit every major monument, tour the Holocaust Museum, spend a day at the Smithsonian, tour Capitol Hill, hear outdoor concerts, meet their congressmen and much more. We will do as much as allowed; however, many museums are limiting group size. While this trip will look different than past years, it will still be a life changing experience.
To be eligible for the Washington Youth Tour, students must:
- Live in a house powered by Kenergy. (Whether students live with grandparents or other members of their families does not matter, as long as the house is powered by Kenergy.)
- Be in the 11th Grade.
- Earn a minimum 3.0 overall GPA.
Complete the 2023 Washington Youth Tour Application and submit by January 13, 2023. In addition, students must:
- Mail the application to Jeanette Weedman, Kenergy, PO Box 1389, Owensboro, KY 42302-1389. You may also fax to 270.685.2279 or email to email@example.com. The application must reach Kenergy’s office no later than 4:30 p.m. on January 13, 2023.
- Attach a copy of their high school transcript to the application.
- Attach a copy of their home’s most current Kenergy bill to the application.
- Submit a 500-1,000-word essay on any subject about which they are passionate by January 30, 2023. Essays of more than 1,000 words will not be judged. Past winners’ topics have been about life on the farm, love for a grandmother, sports, FFA membership, and a love for reading, among others. Judges are free to use the topic as part of their selection process, so choose wisely.
Judges may request personal interviews as part of the process.
Kenergy will announce winners in February.
All WYT delegates must go to Frankfort for an overnight trip in Spring 2023. Kenergy pays for this trip as well. If a student cannot attend the Frankfort trip, he or she will not be allowed to go on the Washington trip on June 12 – 17, 2023.
DISCLAIMER: Washington Youth Tour awards will be chosen by a panel of judges selected by Kenergy. The panel’s decision is final. All materials, images, resumes, essays and applications submitted by the applicant become the sole and absolute property of Kenergy. It is the sole decision and discretion of Kenergy to disqualify any applicant who does not comply with any of the entry and participation rules as set forth by the co-op.
For more information about the Washington Youth Tour, please call Jeanette Weedman at 800.844.4832, extension 6157 or direct at 270.689.6157. Or you may contact her by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Washington Youth Tour trip is subject to cancellation without notice