Washington Youth Tour – June 17-23, 2022
Frankfort Youth Tour – March 22-23, 2022
Kenergy will select three delegates to send on an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C. as part of the Washington Youth Tour.
A panel of judges will choose the co-op’s three delegates and one alternate in March 2022.
Prior to Covid, students would visit every major monument, tour the Holocaust Museum, spend a day at the Smithsonian, tour Capitol Hill, hear outdoor concerts, meet their congressmen and much more. We will do as much as allowed; however, many museums are limiting group size. While this trip will look different than past years, it will still be a life changing experience.
Kentucky Electric Cooperatives coordinates this trip. Learn more about the Washington Youth Tour.
To be eligible for the Washington Youth Tour, students must:
- Live in a house powered by Kenergy. (Whether students live with grandparents or other members of their families does not matter, as long as the house is powered by Kenergy.)
- Be in the 11th Grade.
- Earn a minimum 3.0 overall GPA.
- Mail the application to Jeanette Weedman, Kenergy, PO Box 1389, Owensboro, KY 42302-1389. You may also fax to 270.685.2279 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application must reach Kenergy’s office no later than 4:30 p.m. on February 11, 2022.
- Attach a copy of their high school transcripts to the application.
- Attach a copy of their home’s most current Kenergy bill to the application.
- Submit an up-to 1,000-word essay on any subject about which they are passionate by February 28, 2022. Past winners’ topics have been about life on the farm, love for a grandmother, sports, FFA membership, and a love for reading, among others. Judges are free to use the topic as part of their selection process, so choose wisely.
- Essays must not be attached to the application. Essays must be e-mailed separately to Jeanette Weedman at email@example.com. Only e-mail submissions will be accepted.
- Essays are due by midnight on February 28, 2022.
- Typed essays only, Microsoft Word document, double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font only, please.
- Essays must have the student’s name, high school, home address and phone number typed on the upper right corner of the first page. (This information will not be given to the judges — only to Kenergy administrative staff who prepare the essays for judging.)
Judges may request personal interviews as part of the process.
Kenergy will announce winners in March.
All WYT delegates must go to Frankfort for an overnight trip March 22-23, 2022. Kenergy pays for this trip as well. If a student cannot attend the Frankfort trip, he or she will not be allowed to go on the Washington D. C. trip on June 17 – 23, 2022.
DISCLAIMER: Washington Youth Tour awards will be chosen by a panel of judges selected by Kenergy. The panel’s decision is final. All materials, images, resumes, essays and applications submitted by the applicant become the sole and absolute property of Kenergy. It is the sole decision and discretion of Kenergy to disqualify any applicant who does not comply with any of the entry and participation rules as set forth by the co-op.
For more information about the Washington Youth Tour, please call Jeanette Weedman at 270.689.6157 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Washington Youth Tour trip is subject to cancellation without notice.