Washington Youth Tour – June 17 – 24, 2024
Kenergy will select three students to send on an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., as part of the Washington Youth Tour (WYT).
A panel of judges will choose the co-op’s three delegates and one alternate in January 2024.
Kentucky Electric Cooperatives coordinates this trip. Read more about the Washington Youth Tour.
Students will join over 1,500 other delegates representing electric co-ops from across the country. The Washington Youth Tour educates students about the issues facing co-ops, encouraging them to come home to Kentucky and help lead the co-ops in the future. The busy itinerary includes stops at national memorials, Smithsonian museums, the Holocaust Museum, International Spy Museum, Arlington National Cemetery, visit to Capitol Hill to meet with their congressional delegation and more, as well as a visit to Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello.
To be eligible for the Washington Youth Tour, students must:
- Live in a house powered by Kenergy. (Whether students live with grandparents or other members of their families does not matter, as long as the house is powered by Kenergy.)
- Be in the 11th Grade.
- Earn a minimum 3.0 overall GPA.
- Mail the application to Jeanette Weedman, Kenergy, P.O. Box 1389, Owensboro, KY 42302-1389. You may also fax to 270.685.2279 or email to email@example.com. The application must reach Kenergy’s office no later than 4:30 p.m. on December 13, 2023.
- Attach a copy of their high school transcript to the application.
- Attach a copy of their home’s most current Kenergy bill to the application.
- Submit a 500-1,000-word essay on any subject about which they are passionate by January 8, 2024. Essays of more than 1,000 words will not be judged. Past winners’ topics have been about life on the farm, love for a grandmother, sports, FFA membership, and a love for reading, among others. Judges are free to use the topic as part of their selection process, so choose wisely.
- Essays must not be attached to the application. Essays must be e-mailed separately to Jeanette Weedman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only e-mail submissions will be accepted.
- Essays are due by 11:59 p.m. on January 8, 2024.
- Typed essays only, Microsoft Word document, double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font only, please. Essays must be in executable format – no pdf.
- Essays must have the student’s name, high school, home address and phone number typed on the upper right corner of the first page. (This information will not be given to the judges — only to Kenergy administrative staff who prepare the essays for judging.)
Judges may request personal interviews as part of the process.
Kenergy will announce winners in January 2024.
All Washington Youth Tour delegates must go to Frankfort for an overnight trip in Spring 2024. Kenergy pays for this trip as well. If a student cannot attend the Frankfort trip, he or she will not be allowed to go on the Washington D.C. trip on June 17 – 24, 2024.
DISCLAIMER: Washington Youth Tour awards will be chosen by a panel of judges selected by Kenergy. The panel’s decision is final. All materials, images, resumes, essays and applications submitted by the applicant become the sole and absolute property of Kenergy. It is the sole decision and discretion of Kenergy to disqualify any applicant who does not comply with any of the entry and participation rules as set forth by the co-op.
For more information about the Washington Youth Tour, please call Jeanette Weedman at 800-844-4832, extension 6157 or direct at 270.689.6187, or email email@example.com.
NOTE: Washington Youth Tour trip is subject to cancellation without notice