June 8-15, 2018
This year, Kenergy will select three delegates to send on an all-expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., titled the Washington Youth Tour (WYT).
A judge’s panel chose the co-op’s three delegates and one alternate in January.
Students visit every major monument, tour the Holocaust Museum, spend a day at the Smithsonian, tour Capitol Hill, hear outdoor concerts, meet their Congressmen and much more.
To be eligible for WYT, students must:
- Live in houses powered by Kenergy. (Whether students live with grandparents or other members of their families does not matter, as long as the house is powered by Kenergy.)
- Be 11th-graders.
- Earn a minimum 3.0 overall GPA.
To apply, students must:
Complete the 2018 WYT Application before Dec. 31, 2017. In addition, students must:
- Mail the application to Jeanette Weedman, Kenergy, PO Box 1389, Owensboro, KY 42302-1389. The application must reach Kenergy’s office no later than 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2017.
- Attach a copy of their high school transcripts to the application.
- Attach a copy of their home’s most current Kenergy bill to the application.
- Submit a written a 1,000-word essay on any subject about which they are passionate by January 15, 2018. Past winners’ topics have been about life on the farm, love for a grandmother, sports, FFA membership, and a love for reading, among others. Judges are free to use the topic as part of their selection process, so choose wisely.
More about the essay:
- Essays should not be attached to the application. Essays should be e-mailed separately to Jeanette Weedman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only e-mail submissions will be accepted.
- Essays are due by midnight Jan. 15, 2018.
- Typed essays only. Double spaced. And 12-point Times New Roman font only, please.
- Essays should have the student’s name, high school, address and phone number typed on the upper right corner of the first page. (This information will not be given to the judges — only to Kenergy administrative staff who prepare the essays for judging.)
Judges may request personal interviews as part of the process.
Kenergy announces winners in March.
All WYT delegates must go to Frankfort for an overnight trip in April. Kenergy pays for this trip as well. If a student cannot attend the Frankfort trip, he or she will not be allowed to go on the Washington trip in June.
WYT does not coincide with the Governor Scholar program.
Washington Youth Tour awards will be chosen by a panel of judges selected by Kenergy. The panel’s decision is final. All materials, images, resumes, essays and applications submitted by the applicant become the sole and absolute property of Kenergy. It is the sole decision and discretion of Kenergy to disqualify any applicant who does not comply with any of the entry and participation rules as set forth by the co-op.
For more information about the Washington Youth Tour, please call Jeanette Weedman at (800) 844-4832, extension 6157. Or you may contact her by e-mail at email@example.com.